Sunday, July 20, 2008

Marathon Training

I am really getting fired up about my marathon training. I ran 17 miles last Saturday ( a week ago). I have my sights set for 20 next Saturday. Can you imagine 20 miles! It seems unbelievable to me that I can actually do that. But I think I can. I am almost sure I can. I have been following the Jeff Galloway training method for the last 3 1/2 months. I run 3-4 days a week and walk on the other days. I have figured out what to fuel my body with on the long runs, how to hydrate enough, how to recover etc. It is like a grand adventure with new experiences at each turn. I now have an ipod (thanks to Cassy), I down loaded an audio book - The Zookeepers Wife, and have been listening to that for the last couple of runs. I bought new Saucony running shoes. It didn't take me long to break them in from a beautiful shiny white to a dull ugly gray. When I come in from running I have a brown line where my socks are. Kicking up lots of dirt I guess. I bought a new running toy yesterday I am excited about so now I can hardly wait to go out tomorrow. It is a Nike product. It is a watch with a chip that goes into your shoe. The chip measures your speed and distance. I need to find a track tomorrow so I can calibrate it to my stride. It is made to work with Nike shoes and an ipod mini. I don't have either of those so I am improvising. It also plugs into the computer to download the information. I think I am running faster now than before so I am excited to use this new watch and get some good data during my run. I bet you didn't know running could be so exciting! Wish me luck for the big 20 mile run on Saturday!

No comments: