Monday, August 4, 2008

My Marathon!!





Well, I just went out and ran my marathon! On Saturday July 26th, I was running my 20 mile training run. I started off a little before 6 am. I ran past Tucker Lake, around Arvada Reservoir and ended up at the Ralston Creek Trail. I ran down that trail for over 6 miles then turned around to head back for the last 7 miles or so of my 20 miles run. RT meet me on his bike to give me company on my last four miles. When I had three left to go, so 17 under my belt, I decided I would just "go for it!". So my sweetie rode home, for the car. He grabbed Cami and Caylee, some water, chocolate milk, two ice bags, the camera and headed out to map out the rest of the run for me.

They parked at the end of "the race" and cheered me in. RT ran the last 100 yards or so with me! I finished in 6 hours and 9 minutes. I felt good. I never hit "the wall". I never hurt or felt like I just couldn't go on. I just kept going until it was done. Whahoo!! I told RT it was my first and last marathon but by the next day, I was ready to set a new goal and try again next summer. I want to run it faster. I want to be able to run comfortably at a 10 minute mile pace so I can run the marathon at a 12 minute mile pace instead of a 14 minute mile pace. So, now I am running my 6 mile loop three times a week and trying to pick up the pace for each mile.

I know it is crazy but I sure enjoy running. I think about it during the day and mentally prepare for the next run and genuinely look forward to each one!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom, we are so proud of you! Running a marathon is a huge accomplishment! Way to Go!

cara said...

It is amazing that you ran a marathon. Dave and I are also so proud of you. Great job! Now try to run one in all 50 states (Just Kidding). I think one is enough.