Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Animal encounters!

While out running yesterday, I saw a hill and said to myself, "That looks like a fun place to do some hill repeats!" I know some of you think that is kind of sick but I like the challenge of it. As I run up the hills I say to myself in some Arnold Swarzenegger type accent "Strong like Bull!". But when this morning rolled around and I actually had to put on my shoes and get out the door to make good on my little goal, I felt a little differently. So, I procrastinated and sat at the computer to check my e-mails. My friend Kris Olson had written on my wall words of encouragement about a run I did recently. That was all I needed to get myself out the door. I am sharing this little story to illustrate how important and powerful words of affirmation can be.

I looked at my hill and decided I would do five repeats and then jog back home. I noticed as I raced up the hill that little black spider legs kept disappearing into the dirt holes as I came upon them. I wondered how much the dirt around the spiders in their holes shook each time I passed over them. On the trail back, I came across a small brown/grey snake curled into an S shape on the trail. I wondered if it was dead and wanted to touch it with my shoe but what if it was an alive baby rattle snake? I didn't really think it was but decided to error in the favor of caution. So I found a small stick and nudged it. It moved a little but seemed on the brink of death. So I rolled it out of the middle of the trail and into some shade. Hopefully, it will recover.

As I approached my front porch, two small birds were circling quite close overhead. The other day Callie, Jordan and Caylee saw what they thought was a baby sparrow perched above the door. Caylee and I ran out to see it but it was gone. So, today as I stood on the front steps, these two birds kept circling and getting closer to me then taking off and coming in again. I wondered if I was a threat to them. I stepped on to the porch and away from the front roof. That settled them down and they landed on the rain gutter and gazed down at me. I came upstairs and looked out the loft window hoping to see a nest. It must still be higher but there is a fair amount of bird doodo on the roof just outside my window. It has been a fun morning and I am happy I actually completed my run. Yea! LIfe is good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mom, you are so funny! I am glad you finished your run today! I can't wait to see you in a few days!